Monday, December 1, 2014

Military Wife: Week 9

          These past 9 weeks have certainly not been easy, but we have somehow made it through. I feel so blessed to have gotten to this point; some days it seems like it has taken forever, others, I swear all I did was blink. This week, we celebrated Thanksgiving, and the girls and I were able to travel to Utah to spend the holiday with grandparents... Have I mentioned how convenient it is to have my parents and in laws live just down the street from each other? Maci and Molli had so much fun. I think being around family (for me) made Austyn's absence that more real.
          I have been getting caught up in these YouTube videos about surprise homecomings from soldiers. So come Thanksgiving day, in the back of my mind I secretly had my hopes up that Austyn would walk through the door... To my disappointment, I never even got a phone call from him. Boy, can I just say Basic Training is ROUGH!
          I think as a mother, it is important to take a little time for yourself every once and a while. Drop the kids off at their grandparents house, and go to the grocery store, get your hair done, or buy a new outfit. Being a single parent right now can sometimes cause you to lose your sanity. Don't feel selfish about having some "you" time. We all need that once in a while.

(From a Mother) Tip #17: Take Some Time For YOU

          While I was visiting family this week, I had a few opportunities to get out and have some "me" time. Sure, maybe all I did was run and grab some green beans for Thanksgiving dinner, but it can be a bit --- refreshing --- to go to the grocery store on your own. OK, so maybe I wasn't even able to go on my own, but my amazing cousin Katie came and helped me with the girls, so that was a nice change. But seriously, give yourself a spa day, a mini shopping spree, go for a run! As a mom, we need a little alone time once in a while. Especially when we don't have a husband to turn to right now. :(

(From a Wife) Tip #18: It's OK To Cry

          So maybe by week 9, tears are pretty rare. But if you are having an especially rough day, and missing your man like crazy, there is no shame in a little melt down. The times I have broken down and really let reality hit me were usually within the first month, but I almost found it therapeutic. Crying does not mean you are weak, in this case, it means you care. It is not easy having the love of your life be gone like this. It is even more difficult when your communication with him is sparse. Now if you're having a full on melt down every day, that is a bit worrisome. Remember to have a good support system of family and friends surrounding you to make this challenge a little more bearable.

          I am obsessed with sweets! I was watching a cooking show the other day and they had a delicious looking carrot cake. So, naturally, I look up the recipe and got baking! You know what, it was HEAVENLY! Paired with the cream cheese icing - OH MY! I love how carrot cake never tastes like carrots. Have you every noticed that? It's only called "carrot cake" because there just happen to be carrots in it. This recipe is so rich and flavorful. Be sure to have a few people over to share it with - just because it has carrots, doesn't mean it's necessarily healthy. ;)


Carrot Cake
Ingredients:
2 C sugar
1 C vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 C grated carrots
Butter For Greasing

Directions:
  • Mix together sugar, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. 
  • In another bowl, sift together flour, powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt. 
  • Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture and combine. 
  • Add carrots and mix well. 
  • Pour into a well greased bundt pan or 9x13 and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (50 minutes if using the bundt pan).
Icing:
1 stick butter (softened)
1 8oz package cream cheese (softened)
1 pound powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
  • In large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese, add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix well!
*Spread icing over cake when it has cooled completely.


Bon Appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment