Monday, December 1, 2014

Military Wife: Week 10

          WEEK 10!!! This is the week of graduation for my handsome soldier, Austyn! I cannot begin to express just how proud I am of him. What he has gone through, and learned these past couple of months amazes me. Letters have been comforting, and the few phone calls we were able to get were much needed, but I think it's safe to say Austyn is just as excited (if not more) than me to move into AIT with day to day phone calls as well as Skype. We're halfway through this obstacle of life, and I couldn't be happier.
          Throughout these 10 weeks, I have really done some searching for some ways to keep me busy and distracted from Austyn being gone. Of course, nothing could quite help me forget, but I did find that I LOVE TO COOK! I also learned that I have a bit of an obsession with cleaning and organizing, and doing little crafts and projects to make my home a little for festive during the holiday season. So this week's tips stem from that.

(From a Wife) Tip #19: Find A Hobby

          Hobbies will keep you distracted. I recommend finding one that only requires one person. If you pick up a hobby that can consist of 2 or more people, that may arouse those feelings of loneliness and missing your hubby. But that's just me. As I have previously mentioned, I love to cook and bake (and eat). So maybe another hobby I should pick up is running. ;)


(From a Wife) Tip #20: Classic Crafts

          This is totally optional. I think it just depends on your personality, but I have found that I really enjoy crafts and making my home more warm and inviting. Right now, making your own wreathe is rather trendy. This is the second one I have made, and they're actually pretty easy and fun once you get the hang of it. If you're feeling crafty, Pinterest is a great place to turn to for ideas. :)

          Bread is such a classic in my home. From the time I was young, my mom has made homemade bread at least once or twice a month. So I have carried on that tradition (plus it makes your home smell AMAZING). This is a simple recipe and is so easy to pair with any meal.


White Bread
(makes 2 loaves)
Ingredients:
4 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1 T salt
2 T yeast
2 1/2 C warm water
1/4 C oil
3+ C flour

Directions:
  • Start with the 4 cups of flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add the warm water and oil.
  • Mix well before adding rest of flour. Add remaining flour a little at a time and knead in a mixing bowl for about 5 minutes.
  • Let raise in bowl until doubled - approx. an hour.
  • Punch down and half the dough, placing them in 2 greased bread pans.
  • Let rise another 30-45 minutes (until doubled again).
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
*Great with butter and jam,
spaghetti, and roast!

Bon Appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment