Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Military Wife: Week 12

          On the 12th week of being a military wife, this is what I've learned;
  • Rely on God
  • Always Have a Prayer in Your Heart
  • Read a Good Book
  • Find a Hobby
  • Don't be Afraid to Learn Something New
  • Have a Great Support System
  • Take Some Time For You
  • STAY BUSY
  • Stick to a Routine
  • Write Your Man Some Letters
  • It's OK to Cry
  • It Goes by Faster Than You Think

          I can't believe it has already been 3 months since Austyn was home. There were moments where it seemed like this time would never come, but it also seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye! I am beyond grateful that this trial has turned out to be more of a blessing to our family. It sounds crazy, but being apart from Austyn has only brought our hearts closer together. It just goes along with that saying, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." I never thought I really took Austyn for granted, nor him for I, but we seem to have grown a deeper love and appreciation for each other over these past few months.

          After he came into my life, there was no way I was ever going to let him join the military. I grew up watching my dad leave time and time again, and I could not bear the thought of having to do the same thing with my husband. Yet, here we are, and I have come to the realization that this is our life. This part is only temporary, which is a relief. But I am so thankful that God has blessed us in so many ways during this time in our lives. 


          My last piece of tips and advice are probably the most important of all. In all difficulties and hardships that we face, it is so important to count our blessings. Sure, these last 12 weeks were beyond difficult, and at times seemed impossible to get through, but I can honestly say that I saw more blessings than adversity - not so sure if I can say the same for Austyn. ;)

(From Me) Tip #24: Have A Constant Prayer In Your Heart

          For your children, for your husband, for yourself... I have such a strong testimony of the power of prayer. Having that constant communication with my Father in Heaven is something I can often take for granted. But through prayer, I have been able to pour out my heart and soul, relate my days and my desires. Richard G. Scott of the quorum of the 12 apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said, "prayer is the source of comfort, relief, and protection, willingly granted by our loving, compassionate Heavenly Father." God wants to hear from us. I know my prayers are always heard and answered. With Austyn being gone, I have been able to teach Maci the importance of prayer through praying for him every day. She has gotten to the point where she actually enjoys saying "prayers for daddy." It has taught her that even though daddy is away, we can ask God to watch over and protect him.
(From Me) Tip #25: Rely On God - Always

          I could not have made it through these difficult months without the comfort and guidance from my Heavenly Father. He has been with me every step of the way and has blessed our family with a renewed sense of the great importance of eternal families. Tender mercies have been given to me every single day. It sounds a bit crazy, but I cannot express enough just how thankful I am for this trial that our little family has gone through. Instead of being bitter and resentful, it became much easier to just count the blessings along the way. Truthfully, things can always be worse, and as I mentioned, this is a temporary situation. 
          I am so proud of Austyn and what he has and continues to accomplish through Basic and AIT. I am thankful I get to call him mine and spend forever with him. He is my soul mate in every way. 
*Sorry to get all mushy :)
          
          So here is a dinner roll recipe that is absolutely perfect to compliment any meal you have planned! Feel free to double this recipe, this one makes approximately 12 dinner rolls. Our little family doesn't really require more than that - that's almost too much for us, even! But they really are SO YUMMY! So Austyn and I never have a problem getting 12 down within a couple days. ;)


Perfect Dinner Rolls
Ingredients:
1 C milk
1/4 C + 1 T sugar, divided
3 Tbs butter (the real deal)!
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast
4-5 C flour, divided
2 beaten eggs
1/3 C warm water

Directions:
  • Combine milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted.
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool COMPLETELY!
  • Meanwhile, mix yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar into warm water and let stand about 10 minutes or until yeast has bubbled.
  • In large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour and the milk mixture. Beat on low for a few seconds, then add yeast mixture and beat on high for a few minutes. Add eggs.
  • Mix in as much of the remaining flour as needed to create a nice soft dough.
  • Cover bowl with a clean towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
  • Punch dough down and pinch off 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls and place in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  • Cover with clean towel and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
  • Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden on top.
  • Remove from oven and rub a stick of cold butter over the tops of the rolls.
Bon Appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment