Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Military Wife: Week 11

          Austyn has officially graduated from Basic Training, and I cannot begin to express just how proud I am of him. Honestly, I don't know how on earth we made it through those 10 weeks. No more than 3 phone calls, a dozen letters, and an exchange of a few text messages. I never want to have to do that again. One thing is for sure, we have made it past the hardest part. Going into AIT, Austyn will have day to day contact with us. So far, it has been like heaven getting to hear his voice everyday.

          Maci, Molli and I, along with my mom and in-laws, flew out to Missouri for Austyn's graduation, and it was seriously the coolest thing! If you have never been to a "Basic Training Graduation" you must put it on your bucket list. It's a really big deal to these new soldiers. They have gone through heck these past couple months and have finally made it to "the end of the tunnel." If you ever have a friend or family member accomplish such a feat, please do everything within your power to attend!

          In total, we only got about 12 hours to spend with Austyn. That may seem like a lot of time, but when you haven't seen someone in 10 weeks, 12 hours goes by faster than you think.
          This week's tips are just ideas to keep you busy, again. I think that is the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to stay busy. Keep your mind occupied with things to do rather than dwell on the absence of your husband. Which, OK, let's be honest, I think about Austyn everyday, but it does help to have things to do.

Austyn and his buddy, Xu

Look at the way Maci looks at him; it is the
cutest thing ever! She absolutely loves her daddy!



(From a Wife) Tip #21: Catch Up On Some Good Reading

          I thought about this shortly after Austyn left back in September. Reading is always a great outlet. But honestly, I never found the time to immerse myself into a good book. The only books I have been frequently turning to are the Old Testament in the Bible (first time trying to read through it and it has taken me over a year) and The Book of Mormon. But if I couldn't get into any novels, I'd have to say those are pretty good substitutes. :) I have been very diligent with ensuring that the girls and I have family scripture study every night before bed. Especially having Austyn gone, I found it very important to continue with that routine.

(From a Family) Tip #22: Immerse Yourself Into  Projects

         Projects can be something as simple (or daunting) as raking the leaves in the yard. Something everyone can be involved in! Organizing your spice cupboard, deep cleaning the house, and decorating a bare wall are some other ideas to get your brain going. I have done all but the spice cupboard - which I probably ought to do today. :)

(From a Mother) Tip #23: Plan Out Meals

          Have you ever thought about the fact that there are enough recipes in the world that you could cook something new every single day for the rest of your life? Well, I suppose you would have to be really diligent and dedicated to do such a thing, but I am one who encourages trying new things in the kitchen. New recipes can become family favorites for generations! I believe planning out meals will help keep your family on a healthier diet, keep you busy, and organized. 
          I do not mean having something planned out every single day of the week while your husband is gone, I am a full believer in the random Little Caesar's pizza nights! But if you go through meals and recipes that your family already likes as well as some new ones each week, it might make time fly by a little faster!
 *Now is the time to overcome your fear in the kitchen and learn to enjoy cooking! :)

          I came across this recipe a few months ago, and never thought of making it until last week -pretty good if I do say so myself! I did kind of tweak it a bit to adhere to my taste, which I totally encourage you to do if you want to add something, take out something, it is totally up to you!

Sorry it's not the most photogenic!
It tastes better than it looks. :)
Chicken Spaghetti
Ingredients:
1 lb spaghetti
4 chicken breasts (2 C chicken broth)
2 bell peppers
1 onion
2 cans cream of chicken and mushroom soup
salt and pepper (to taste)
a dash of cayenne 
2 1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
  • Boil the chicken breasts in a pot until fully cooked. Remove chicken from water and let sit until cooled.
  • Reserve 2 cups of the water the chicken was boiling in as your chicken broth for later.
  • Break up spaghetti and pour into the same pot. Cook until al dente.
  • Cut up bell peppers and onion. Cut up (or shred) chicken and place in a large mixing bowl with peppers and onion.
  • Add cream of chicken and mushroom, salt and pepper, cayenne, and mix well.
  • Mix in 2 cups cheese, and 1 cup chicken broth (you don't want the mixture to be too dry because it will be baking in the oven. Add more broth until it is a nice creamy consistency).
  • Pour into a 9x13 pan, and top with remaining cheese.
  • Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Bon Appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment