Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Military Wife: Week 2

          Two weeks down... So many more to go. The girls and I are adjusting and I am doing my best not to think about how many more days Austyn and I still have apart. But if anyone wants to know, there's only 11 weeks left until Christmas! :) Yes, in our house, the countdown has begun. So this past week I've been brainstorming and getting advice from other women who have been, and are, military wives. There seems to be a few common pieces of advice, and they are probably the most important... That  being said, this week's tips stem from that.
          I would like to point out that as I am giving these tips and ideas each week, I am also very open to any suggestions you ladies may have who have been through similar situations. Again, my heart goes out to those women who have husbands serving in the Armed Forces, and am so grateful for those who are willing to sacrifice so much so we can continue to enjoy the freedom we've been blessed with. Be proud, and feel honored. This is not easy on a family, but makes the world of a difference for generations to come...


(From a Mother) Tip #3: STAY BUSY!

          I cannot stress this enough! This is the one tip I got from multiple mothers, and it is probably most crucial for you over the hard weeks/months that are to follow. There are many ways to stay busy while your husband is gone. I'll go into further detail over the next few weeks of how to do so, but staying busy can keep your mind off of you missing your man, and more on the tasks at hand each day. Lets face it, if you're a mother, you already have a reason or two to keep yourself busy everyday..



(From a Wife) Tip #4: "Wearing His Sweatshirt is Like Wearing His Hug"

          So this is more of a "on a rainy day" tip when your missing your sweetheart. Which, yeah, I've already had a few of those days. Put on his sweatshirt, his sweats, one of his old t shirts, anything that helps you feel closer to him and feel a little comfort. It's ok to have a day where all you want to do is lounge around and not worry about your hair or your make up. I am constantly wearing my husband's t shirts and sweats anyway, so this really isn't anything new for me. But I did put on one of Austyn's sweatshirts the other day, and it still smelt like his cologne. It literally felt like his hug from a distance. I know, I'm such a hopeless romantic. ;)

Banana Muffins
These are from last week's post of the
banana chocolate chip recipe. 
          So I have an obsession with breakfast foods. I think I always knew that but as of recently I realized just how much I love baking anything sweet that can be eaten in the morning. So a popular recipe in my home when I was in high school was Buttermilk Syrup. Nearly every Sunday morning at my parents house, you will wake up to the aroma of homemade buttermilk syrup and waffles---my family believes you should not eat this syrup with pancakes, so I suppose I'm a rebel. ;) I make it with pancakes all the time. But I would recommend waffles with this syrup.


Buttermilk Syrup


Ingredients:
2C Sugar
1C Buttermilk
1/2C Butter
2t Corn Syrup
2t Baking Soda
2t Vanilla

Directions:
  • In a deep pan, melt butter, then add other ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Let sit for a few minutes, then serve immediately while it's still hot! 


Bon Appetit! :)

          

No comments:

Post a Comment