Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Military Wife: Week 4

          So we've hit the 4 week mark. Thank goodness we have one month down, just a few more to go! No phone calls yet from Austyn, but letters have been pretty comforting. I'll take letters any day! I figured out that weekends are the most difficult to get through for me. Seeing as most people have the weekend off from work, that's probably a universal feeling for military wives.. Sundays especially. When I am lugging two little girls to church all by myself, trying to hold Molli while Maci is running around like a crazy child - yeah, it's a bit tough flyin' solo. But, I won't complain too much. I know that my schedule is a bit more... relaxed you could say... than Austyn's. :(
          I sure hope you guys are whippin' up some of these recipes I've been posting... I swear I've gained 10 lbs since Austyn left! I need to cut back on the "sweet baking" and try a healthier approach. Easier said than done, right? Nevertheless, I will be sure to continue sharing some sweet treats with you. I won't keep these delights all to myself. ;)
          
My supply of Honest diapers :) this is about 2 months
worth of them!


Baby Wipes



(From a Mother) Tip #7: Stock Up
       
          Preferably before your husband leaves. I started acquiring food storage as well as a few necessities before Austyn left, and it has made the world of a difference! I am someone who has a bit of what I like to call an "Honest obsession." I love the Honest Co.! They sell great diapers, and wipes, as well as cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, soaps, lotion, shampoo, body wash, sunscreen, air fresheners... the list goes on and on. If you'd like to try them for yourself, just click on this link; 


Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, along with those soaps and diapers, food is a huge thing to try and stock up on. Starting with Ramen and a few cans of veggies, just getting a few things each time you run to the grocery store can really help you over time. We knew about 4 months before Austyn would be leaving, so I really buckled down over the summer to try and stock up on those things I was constantly running to the store for. Diapers were a huge must. With a 4 month old baby, yeah, we go through a few diapers a day.. 

(From a Wife) Tip #8: Exercise

          Yeah, so... this is one I am trying to improve on. But it really is important! Not only for the fact that you want to try and look good for your man when he comes home, but as a mom, I feel a lot more energized and refreshed when I make time to exercise. Now, I don't mean you have to carve out an entire hour or two to go to the gym. If all you can fit in to your day is a half hour of lunges, sit ups, or even some push ups, that is just fine. That's about all I can do some days, but it does make a difference. A walk with the girls is always fun too, or even going to the park and chasing after Maci for an hour will do the trick. I would recommend trying to get outside as much as possible; fresh air can do a woman some good, especially if you're home with the kids all day. 

          So I know I said I needed to start sharing healthier recipes, but it's that time of the year! Sweets are calling your name constantly! So here is a recipe I just whipped up this past weekend; Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Icing - Yes, they are as good as they sound... if not better :)


Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients:  (Dough)
3/4 C Milk
4 Tbs Butter, cut into chunks
4 - 4 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 Tbs Rapid Rise Yeast
1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C Pumpkin Puree
1 Egg (room temperature)

             (Filling)
1 C Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C Softened Butter
1 1/2 Tbs Ground Cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger (I used fresh ginger, but ground is fine)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Directions:
  • Heat up the milk and 4 Tbs of butter in a (microwave safe) bowl; about a minute or so. Stir and set aside.
  • Combine 2 C flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer
  • Add milk mixture to the flour mixture once it has cooled. Then add the pumpkin puree and egg. Beat until well combined, then switch to a dough hook.
  • Add remaining flour until dough comes together and is soft and slightly sticky.
  • Place dough onto a floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes while you assemble the filling.
  • For filling: mix the very softened butter with the brown sugar and spices until smooth
  • Now, dust dough ball with some flour and roll it out into a BIG rectangle. Spread the filling out evenly over the dough (I used my hands, or just use a spatula).
  • Roll up from the longer side of the rectangle, then cut into 12 equal pieces. You can use a pizza cutter, dental floss... whatever works best for you!
  • Place in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a towel and let rise for about 30 minutes
  • Place into a 350 degree oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly golden.
Maple Icing:
1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
2 Tbs Melted Butter
1 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
3 Tbs Milk
                                              Mix together and drizzle over cinnamon rolls while they're still warm!
Bon Appetit! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment