Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Military Wife: Week 3

          Well... 3 weeks down! I would say I feel a sense of accomplishment for making it on my own this long, but that doesn't really seem right. I have had the love and support of family and friends and that has made this reality much more bearable. I feel blessed to know, though, that this isn't permanent. So here's a tip of what not to do; don't watch a sappy romantic movie the day you get a letter from your husband - unless of course you want to spend the evening crying your eyes out! It's tough having to literally quit speaking to the love of your life on a daily basis cold turkey! I've been giving these tips for the past few weeks for other wives and mothers, but I wonder if I'm not the one who's benefiting from them most.

This was taken just moments before Austyn boarded his flight :(

(From a Family) Tip #5: Take a Video of Your Husband Before He Leaves

          I actually thought of this before Austyn left, but I didn't get a specific video of him until that morning. He always sings to Maci before she goes to sleep, but this morning he spent a good half hour singing her primary songs. So I started recording... and I am so glad I did. We watch it all the time, which helps Maci (as well as Molli) remember not only what daddy looks like, but his voice. I think it will also help with that initial transition when Austyn gets home; if the girls are exposed to pictures and videos and constantly talking about him and reminding them that daddy loves them and will be home soon, it may help them from being overly shy and skittish when he returns (which unfortunately does happen with younger kids).
          
(From a Wife) Tip #6: Have a Great Support System

          This can include family, friends, fellow church members... It's really important to have someone or (ideally) many people who love you and are aware of the circumstances. Having people to rely on while your husband is away is a bit stress relieving. I know that if I get too overwhelmed or stressed I am always welcome at both my parents and in laws. My mom, having been a military wife my whole childhood, also gives me advice and empathetic support. Having been there herself, I have been able to get many helpful tips from her as far as how to make this transition easier..  

          So this week I decided to share a recipe that has been a hit in my home since I can remember! We call it Italian Pasta. It's more of a casserole, but is beyond delicious and filling! My mom has been making it ever since I can remember. Just a tip; make sure you have a few adults over who can help you eat it - especially if you are cooking for a 2 year old, a 4 month old, and yourself. Odds are you may be the only one to eat it (I learned this from experience). :/


Italian Pasta

Ingredients:
1 Box Rigatoni Noodles
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Flour
3 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Parsley (optional)
3/4 C Parmesan Cheese (grated of course)
A 16 oz Carton of Cottage Cheese
1 Egg
4 C Milk
1 Package of Polska Kielbasa
3/4 C Mozzarella 

Directions:
  • Boil rigatoni in a pot until al dente (It's going to bake in the oven so you don't want the noodles too soft).
  • Mix the cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp pepper, salt, parsley (optional) and 1/4 C Parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
  • Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add flour and remaining pepper. Mix well. Add milk and remaining Parmesan. Heat over medium to medium high heat stirring frequently (this is important so you don't end up with globs of flour) BE Patient! Let it get nice and thick.
  • Drain rigatoni and place into a 9x13 pan. 
  • When sauce has thicken, pour over the pasta. Then pour the cottage cheese mixture over the top.
  • Slice up a link of Polska Kielbasa, and stuff into the pasta.
  • Top with Mozzerella
  • Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Note: This is a great make ahead
dish. You can prepare it, cover it, then
place it in the fridge for up to 24 hours!
Bon Appetit! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment