Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Military Wife: Week 1

          So it's taken me a good week to collect myself and try to get on a routine with the girls again. But let's face it, I will never be able to get use to Austyn being gone... So until Christmas, it's back and forth from WY and UT. It sure is nice to have family (somewhat) close by. Just a 5 hour drive away!
          So during these next 12+ weeks, I will be sharing not only some super delicious and satisfying recipes, but also some helpful tips to keep a woman as well as her children strong during those "military hardships" (Deployment, Boot Camp, Drill Weekends, etc.). I grew up a "Navy Brat" so I have a view from a few different perspectives. Since I was born I had to deal with my dad being gone. Sometimes twice a year for 3 months. Now I have the privilege of getting to be the wife of a man gone for a total of 5 months for basic and AIT. I am not trying to put myself on any pedestal here, but it definitely takes a strong and special woman to put up with the military life. It takes patience, courage, a heart of love and patriotism. My heart goes out to those many mothers in our country who have to deal with their husbands being gone anywhere from 2 weeks to a year.
         
 (From a Family) Tip #1: Take Some Family Pictures Before He Leaves
          
          This was just taken by my mom in the backyard, The picture doesn't have to necessarily be "portrait worthy," just a simple photo with everyone will be something you and your children can look at daily to keep your spirits high. If you can, it's also a great thing to send to your husband while he's away. Depending on the circumstances, he may not be able to see or talk to you while he is gone, but hopefully letters and pictures can be sent to keep you in close touch as a family. For your children, you may want to take individual pictures with them and their dad. They can keep that by their bed. :)

(From a Child) Tip #2: Plan a Fun Family Outing

          We did this with my dad when I was young. One time, we went to Chuck E. Cheese's when I was about 8. Coincidentally, we took Maci and Molli there this summer about a month before Austyn left. This doesn't have to be anything expensive. A simple backyard camp out or a picnic at the park will do itself justice. This is a great time to have some fun and make memories as a family, and to MAYBE take some time to explain to your children that daddy will be gone for a while... I stress the MAYBE because every family probably goes about it at a different time. The important thing is to spend plenty of time as a family before life separates you for a while. 

          Enough tips for a moment... I have a delicious Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe that is photographed, but I currently do not have my camera with me, so you will just have to imagine the moist, flavorful muffins on your own. Sorry! They really are the best though. They were inspired by my mother-in-law who has a VERY similar recipe. My husband raves about them, and did for 3 years (*Hint Hint) until I finally made him some. These are great treats for a Sunday morning before church, school lunches, or to snack on through out the day! I am guilty of eating an entire batch by myself! They are that good!

Banana Muffins
Ingredients:
4 Bananas
2 Eggs
1/4 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 C Sugar
2 C Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Chocolate Chips
          
          Directions:
  • Mash bananas into a mixing bowl. Add the Oil and Sugar. Mix well
  • Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips. Save those for last. I have a belief that chocolate chips only belong in cookies---my husband is SLOWLY changing my view on that---but you can leave those out if you want.
  • Spray two 12 ct muffin pans with cooking spray (or you can line them with cupcake liners for easier clean up).
  • Distribute into the pans with a good ol' ice cream scooper to ensure the muffins all turn out the same size.
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes (or until golden on the top).
Bon Appetit! :)



          

No comments:

Post a Comment