Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Countdown

          We are only days away from saying goodbye to our handsome husband and father. It is truly agonizing. I am torn about whether I want time to speed up to Christmas, or for it to slow down and STOP altogether! I am just praying we won't have to go through this again in the years to come before his contract is up.
          Regardless, I am so very proud of Austyn and his hard work and dedication to not only our family, but our country...
          This past weekend, we made a quick trip to Laramie for Austyn's 'Drill weekend.' The girls and I went to tidy up our apartment --- excuse me, I did the tidying up --- and the girls played, ate, slept, rolled over, used the big girl potty, and thoroughly exhausted me. Truthfully it made me quite happy because I was always busy and distracted from the fact that Austyn was gone. Needless to say though, I was quite happy when he came home Sunday afternoon. :)
          Upon his request (and my bravery) I finally decided to attempt a pot roast lunch on Sunday. I'm not sure why, but I have always been nervous about making a pot roast. I think everyone has had the roast that was either not cooked long enough, way overcooked, or just drained of any flavor. I was always worried that would be my case. I found a recipe online that said, "Perfect Pot Roast." Obviously any roast recipe that says "Perfect" ought to be, right???
          With a few alterations and minor modifications, I believe I did indeed whip up the Best Sunday Pot Roast --- EVER!!! I must say, I am mighty proud of myself.
The Best Sunday Pot Roast EVER ;)
          Ingredients: 
1 3-5lb Chuck Roast
2 Onions (halved)
1 Small Bag of Carrots
10 Red Potatoes 
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 1/2 Cups Beef Broth
A big sprig of Thyme and Rosemary 
Plenty of Salt and Pepper (to season the roast)

          Directions:
  • Make sure your roast is completely thawed. Season it with a heaping tablespoon or so of salt AND pepper each on all sides. 
  • Put 1 TBS of olive oil into a pot on medium heat. Place in the halved onions and cook until lightly browned on both sides. Remove onions to a plate, then throw in the carrots (you can cut them in half or leave them as is.) Cook carrots until slightly browned. Remove to the same plate as the onions. 
  • Thoroughly rinse and scrub the red potatoes, and cut in half. Place into same pot and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Place with onions and carrots. 
  • Pour in another TBS or so of olive oil into the hot the pot, and place in the roast, cooking until lightly browned on all sides. Remove to a plate.
  • Pour in 1 cup of Beef Broth and let that heat up for about a minute. Replace the meat, and fill pot with remaining broth (don't cover the meat completely, about half way. So you may not even need all the broth depending on how big your roast is.)
  • Place the veggies on top of roast and top it off with the Thyme and Rosemary.
  • Cover with lid and place into a 275 degree oven.
  • Allow to cook for 4 1/2 hours
  • When it's finished cooking, you may remove the thyme and rosemary, and do your best to pull apart or even shred the beef. Then, allow it to sit in the pot with the broth and veggies for a good half hour.
Bon Appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment